Have you heard about the sexually transmitted disease? Well, it is also known as venereal disease or sexually transmitted infection. Such infection happens due to unsafe sexual interaction.
One can develop an STD at a time of unsafe vaginal, oral, or anal sex with someone who is already having an STD.
A prevailing myth about STD is that it is transmitted only at the time of sex. It may be transmitted from one person’s genitals to another person's mouth or throat, and also via needles as well as at the time of breastfeeding.
Common Symptoms to identify STD in Men/Women:
In general, for STD there are no such significant symptoms, but few common symptoms are there, which can trigger you to go for an STD test.
- A feeling of pain or discomfort at the time of urination or sex
- Experiencing abnormal discharge or even bleeding from your penis/vagina
- A feeling of Itchiness in & around the vagina
- Swelling or pain in the testicles
- Development of sores, rashes, or bumps around the penis, testicles, buttocks, anus, thighs, mouth, or vagina.
Types of STD and how to diagnose
The common types of sexually transmitted infections are Chlamydia, Human Papilloma Virus, Human Immunodeficiency Virus, Gonorrhea, Herpes Simplex Virus, etc. Apart from these, both men and women can also get infected with uncommon STD like Lymphogranuloma Venereum, Molluscum Contagiosum, Scabies, etc.
Doctors do not diagnose whether any person is suffering from sexually transmitted diseases or not just based on symptoms. They will check the sexual history of that person. Even urine or blood test can also be conducted to diagnose STD. Testing of a swab taken from the genitals will also reveal whether a person is infected with a sexually transmitted disease or not.
How to treat the problems due to STD?
STD can vary from person to person, and accordingly, the treatments too. So, while any person is diagnosed with such infection, then he or she is suggested undergoing the necessary treatments before getting involved in sexual activity. Otherwise, the other partner will get infected with such an infection.
Some common treatment traits are mentioned below to get healed from sexually transmitted infections.
- If the suffering is due to bacterial infection, then antibiotics will work well. But it is necessary to complete the entire course.
- Many suffer from viral STD and this type of infection cannot be cured by consuming antibiotics. Most of the time, viral infection gets cured on their own.
- If any person is suffering from infections like public ice or scabies, they can feel good with oral or topical medicines.
We hope the above information gave you a brief knowledge of STD. However, one should undergo medicinal treatments only after consultations with doctors.
You need to share the details of your case with your doctor, and based on that, some tests may be recommended to detect the root cause and the precautions and treatments you need.
Timely treatment can help you to overcome the problem, and the more you delay, the chance of fatal incident can happen.